Professor & Chairperson,
Centre for Insurance and Risk Management,
Prof. P. S. Nagpal has been an insurance industry veteran, and his professional career in the insurance domain spans a period of well over four decades. Since 2004, he has made the switch-over to full time academics and has been associated with BIMTECH since 2006.
Prof. Nagpal has always been academically inclined and had himself secured high ranks/ gold medals throughout his academic career, also including a University Gold Medal in LL.B.. Prior to this switch from industry to academics, Prof.Nagpal served a major non-life PSU insurer as a Class 1 officer for over a 34 year association in various managerial and technical capacities like Heading a Branch Office, Divisional Office,Regional Techno-Marketing Dept.,Regional Legal Cell etc.. In 2004, he opted for voluntary retirement to be available full-time for academic pursuits. During 2004-06, he was Professor- General Insurance in a prominent Delhi/NCR based institution, teaching post-graduate and undergraduate courses in insurance. Since 2006, as a part of Centre for Insurance and Risk Management (CIRM) at BIMTECH, he has been associated with teaching, evaluation and development of course material for a range of Non-Life Insurance subjects (so far eight different subjects including Insurance Laws). Since the last year, he has been working as the Chairperson of the CIRM.
||M.A., D.A.V.V. Indore, 1975
|Any Other Degree
||LL.B. (Gold Medalist), D.A.V.V. Indore, 1969
- The Medical Savings Account model- An option for Health Insurance in India – Planning and Implementing Health Insurance Programmes in India- An Operational Guide. IPH/ World Health Organization. 2006.
- Training Module on Negotiations and Contracting. Training Manual for Managers of Health Insurance. IPH/ WHO India. 2006.
- Training Module on Collecting Data. – Training Manual for Managers of Health Insurance. IPH/ WHO India. 2006.
- A Case Study on Private Health Insurance in India – for the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, 2007.
- Challenges and Prospects of Health Insurance in India. Health Insurance in India– A Review. Published by The Insurance Times, 2009.
In addition, he has also made numerous contributions to the house magazine of his former employer and other publications, which range from papers on technical aspects of insurance to Hindi and English poetry.
- Internal Faculty at the Regional Training Centre of a Public Sector General Insurance Company for 3 years.
- Professor-General Insurance in a prominent Delhi based institution, teaching post-graduate and undergraduate courses in insurance for 2 years (upto June 2006).
- Working with BIMTECH since June 2006 with duties of teaching, evaluation and development of course material for a range of Non-Life Insurance subjects and Insurance Laws apart from other administrative and miscellaneous functions.
Other Professional Experience
- Served a major non-life PSU insurer for 34 years having joined the same as a Class 1 officer in 1970 and having held charge of key offices and functions in various managerial and technical capacities ranging from Branch Manager to Senior Divisional Manager and Regional Head of Techno-Marketing. Even prior to this, he worked for a private insurer as a Branch Head during 1968-69. He opted for voluntary retirement in 2004 to follow his heart by switching over to whole time academics.
Achievements and Awards
- Prof. Nagpal has a flair for languages and literature, and has an excellent command over English, Hindi and Punjabi and a fairly good knowledge of Gujarati and Marathi. He also learnt Sanskrit to the level of qualifying as ‘Sanskrit Kovid’ so as to gain a deeper insight into the scriptures. He has been inclined towards literature, and has been penning poetry for several decades, some of which have been published. He also remained associated for a few years as the Founder Editor of his organisation’s magazine ‘Madhyanchala’.
- Prof. Nagpal has been inclined towards spirituality and theology and also conducts meditation workshops and prayer meetings at BIMTECH.
- He has been an eminent public speaker, and the subject matter of his speeches has gradually shifted from extempore speeches and debates from his academic days, to professional presentations and talks in his industry days and further towards discourses on spirituality and theology in the recent past.